There is no doubt in the fact that Artificial intelligence has emerged out to be the most powerful technology of today’s time. The Gartner report clearly states that by the year 2020, around 2.3 million jobs will be created by Artificial intelligence. Even now, the demand for skilled AI professionals is very high but there is a shortage of properly trained people. Hence, taking up AI as a career at this point of time can really be a worthy decision.
Let’s take a look at the roadmap to become an AI engineer:
Introduction to AI
AI is the technology that lets the machine do things on its own and mimic the behavior or a human being. It is basically the development of a computer to perform operations done by a human in an intelligent manner including speech recognition, visual perception, and decision-making, etc.
What does an artificial intelligence engineer do?
Majorly an AI engineer has to deal with the complex neural networks, algorithms and various tools in order to keep enhancing the working quality of the system. There are various industries which are now using AI in their area including retail, finance, and healthcare, etc. As an AI engineer, you will be working on problems related to AI.
How to become an AI engineer?
Well, every skill needs to be learned from the very basic concept to the advanced level, same goes for AI. Let’s take a look at the steps involved in order to become an AI engineer.
- You need to compulsorily have a Bachelor’s degree in one of the subjects including mathematics, computers, statistics, information technology, economics or finance.
- Once you earn the degree, the next very important step is to get the technical skills. You need not just be a good programmer but also you should be perfect in the techniques of software development and what practices should one follow for it. You need to have knowledge about the concepts like
- OOPs concepts
- software development life cycle
- patterns for design
- mathematics and statistics
- neural networks
- Deep learning
- Once you are through with the technical skills, you also need to have some business skills in order to smartly tackle with industry-based problems. These skills are
- Vibrant communication
- Great analytical skills
- Efficient logical thinking
- Gaining business skills is not tough, but you either need to learn from experiences or you can take up the master’s degree to get things learned in a smoother manner. You can do a Master’s degree in machine learning or data science to get more of the related skills.
- You can also go for some certification courses for data science, deep learning and machine learning, etc. You will get some more value added to your resume with the certificate that is globally accepted.
Mandatory technical skills
We have already seen above that some technical skills are required to become a skilled AI engineer. Let’s get more details about the same.
- Programming skills
It is mandatory to have knowledge of at least one programming language including R, Python, C++, and Java, etc. Python is the widely used language as it is a powerful statistical language with amazing libraries. In order to learn python, you can learn by taking online course or go for classroom training from any
Python Training institute. You will get to learn about basic algorithms and other important concepts.
- Linear algebra and statistics
Statistics play a very important role in AI. So, you should be familiar with basic terms like standard deviation, Gaussian distribution and mean, etc. You also need to understand the probability based models like naïve Bayes and Markov models, etc.
- Natural language processing
You may have to work with audio, video or text, etc and here comes the concept of NLP.
- Neural network architecture
Neural networks are used for tasks like image classification, speech recognition, and translation, etc. In the department of AI, these networks play a very significant role.
If you possess all the above skills, getting a job in AI will never be a big deal.
According to the report from Indeed, the AI engineer gets an average salary of $110,000 per annum and this keeps on increasing as per the experience and knowledge you gain.
Well, now you have got the complete path on how to become an AI engineer. So, move forward and get the new and amazing wings for your career.