How many times have you ever seen back to the computer the photographs you took during a trip, a trip or a party and only noticed after some imperfections or details that you could have improved during shooting?
Now the game is done and you cannot go back to take the same picture again. A solution, however, exists, and is that of intervening with a practical post-production call that can help you to significantly improve a photographic image. You can even think of removing that flaw, that shadow, that reflection that makes your shot an insufficient or just acceptable image, turning it into something extraordinary and of great visual and emotional impact. Be careful though: you need at least 2 basic requirements.
Before shooting … the 2 basic requirements to improve the photos
You can have all the software in the world available, from those available online to the most expensive ones, from the best known and most famous to the simplest and cheapest ones, but any improvement you will want to perform on your photography, you cannot do without two requirements fundamental.
- Patience: patience is directly proportional to the time taken. You cannot think of improving a photograph by intervening in 2 minutes on the image you see on the screen. To get the best results you can also take 2-3 hours, depending on the case. If you have 10 photos, you should also count the minutes you will have to spend. The more you will have patience and the better the changes you will be able to make.
- Shooting quality: well remember a decisive thing: the more the shot is good from the beginning, the more your improvement will be considerable, tangible and above all it will take less time. It tries to get a good photo since you are about to set the camera before shooting, watching the light, the ‘ framing and shooting parameters.
The shooting parameters are those settings that can be set directly from the camera before shooting. Specifically they are:
- exposure time
- the ISO values
- the type of focus
- the focal length ( zoom )
- the white balance
Those mentioned are the main ones, that is, those that are most capable of conditioning the rendering of an image. In the settings of the camera you can set all these values manually or let the camera decide automatically, or only intervene on some leaving automatically others. The ideal and technically perfect photo is the one that has all the parameters set in the most correct way in relation to the scenario to be photographed. A photo editing program is useful for modifying the values that are not considered correct, improving them and taking them as far as possible towards the most suitable values.
How to edit photos: intervene on an image or the importance of post-production
To improve an image there are more methods, some more demanding, others less, some simpler, others more complex. Here we are dealing with the improvement tools that require post-production intervention, i.e. those that most require computer work. Among these there are programs available online, already included in the various suites of Windows or Apple or that require the purchase of a license to use.
How to edit photos: free image enhancement software
When you buy a computer with Windows or Apple operating system, there are usually photo viewing programs and even editing them. Here are the best known.
- Microsoft Photos in Windows 10: is the default viewer of photos that allows you to intervene on the image by changing some parameters. In addition to giving the possibility of cropping and tilting (useful for straightening the horizons, for example), it allows an automatic photo improvement on which, however, it is possible to intervene later , leaving the modification parameters to the software . The improvement of the image is possible then choose it and calibrate it to your liking, or let you decide everything to the computer, with the possibility however to further optimize the result if the PC make decisions that are not considered valid by us. You can adjust the light, increasing the brightness, as well as the color range (saturation). In addition there are some pre-set filters that create an artistic effect to the images. An option is specific to remove red eyes from portraits and another is useful for eliminating imperfections or small spots. You can manage everything in a very intuitive and simple, obtaining a good result.
- Gimp is a software free open source which is close to the famous Photoshop. It requires a good preparation, but being free it is possible to experiment with different possibilities with photographs and see how they can change the effects of the images. Compatible with Windows, Apple and Linux can be downloaded from the official website and has a clear interface, on the left you find the work tools, on the right the panels to manage the various levels and at the top center the different menus have filters and commands.
- Irfan View: although it can be confused with Photoshop and Gimp is very different. In fact, this is not complete photo editing software, but it is an image viewer that has some retouching functions, useful, immediate, intuitive and certainly appreciable. For example, it is very easy to use the “Clone Stamp” tool with which you can hide defects and eliminate imperfections, but you can also apply filters and act in many aspects of the color range and saturation.
- Autodesk Pixlr: free online software that allows you to edit images even if you do not have complete features like Photoshop or Gimp. You only need a few clicks to be able to act and significantly improve your photographs, by putting filters and frames, or optimizing them for social publishing. Once on the site, you can open your own image on the hard disk and start editing through editing. The instrumentation is mainly on the top and on the left, following the graphic setting of Photoshop.
How to edit photos, the best paid photo editing software
Among the most famous photo editing programs there is certainly Photoshop, but it is not the only one. They exist in industrial quantities, but we focus only on a few. Here are some.
- Adobe Photoshop is the software for editing best known. Complete in all its forms is available for Mac and Windows platform. Thanks to the program it is possible to intervene with work even in a “heavy” way, even modifying the backgrounds, making photomontages, changing the appearance of the subjects, eliminating the cumbersome elements of your images. It is certainly the reference of the sector and has also paved the way for other competing programs. One way to intervene in a tangible way is to superimpose images created with different parameters in order to obtain a single photograph. Almost perfect.
- Adobe Lightroom: is a program that represents a first step, then move on to Photoshop. It is complete and compatible even with the Apple operating system and allows you to edit photographs with the purpose of improving the shooting parameters used with the camera. Open the shadows, lighten some parts, enhance the contrast,and remove the veil of mist that some cameras often create, are just some of the main operations that can improve a photograph.
- Movavi Photo Editor: the cost is affordable and represents a minimum investment that would be worth doing. Pretty complete and well-structured photo editing system. You can remove imperfections to the face of the subjects, lighten areas in the shade, smooth the skin , rejuvenate the aunt, eliminate unwanted objects , such as annoying high voltage cables, “play” with backgrounds and replace them, add filters and donate to your creative effects images. Ideal for Mac, but also available for Windows.