MS Outlook is the world’s largest email client due to its advance features and services. Also, it has a simple, intuitive and easy-to-use interface. The privilege has been given to end user by Outlook is PST file protection. It is an essential feature regarding the security of PST. Through this feature, users can protect their PST files including business as well as personal information. Users can encrypt .pst file by simply applying a password. After that, users can try to open PST file a window that asks for a password. If a person has no credentials of the password he/she will not be able to access PST files in Outlook.
However, it is a good practice to secure emails in PST but sometimes, if the user forgets the PST password, it becomes tough to open PST file. Without accessing it, users are unable to open each content and important email in Outlook PST. Do not worry! In this blog, we will introduce the best three methods to unlock Outlook .pst file password.
Manual Methods to Unlock Password Protected Outlook PST File
These two techniques will help to remove an existing password and set a new password. Follow the set of instructions as given below:
Method 1: Using Command Prompt
- Create the replica of PST file and close MS Outlook application
- Run Scanpst.exe (Inbox Repair tool) and browse the particular .pst file
- Launch the command prompt by clicking Window key+R shortcut
- Paste the path to pst19up now, the PST file named as pst19up.exe- filename.pst and press the Enter key
- The command line appears as C:\My Documents\pst19upg.exe- x outlook.pst. This will make a copy of PST known as filename.psx
- After examined carefully, rename the original PST file with several names
- Under the command prompt, type pst19upg.exe- filename.psx and press Enter key
- Eventually, the new password free PST will be created. Again, launch Outlook mail client and open the PST files
Methods 2: Via MS Outlook Interface
- Launch Microsoft Outlook and click on the File tab
- Then, choose Account Settings and select Account Settings
- Navigate to Data Files option and choose the PST file for which users need to change the password and click Settings
- In the Outlook data file dialog box, click on Change Password to apply password to PST file
- At last, users can create a New Password to secure PST files and click OK button to prove it.
Remember: Make sure that the passwords must contain 15 characters or less than 15 characters.
An Efficient Solution to Unlock Outlook .pst File Password
When users may forget the PST password, the best option is to opt for a reliable third-party tool. One such application is PST Password Remover software. It is an instant solution that recovers lost/forgotten Outlook passwords within a few clicks. With this utility, users can unlock PST file password without having the platform dependency. Also, it has a graphical user interface by which users can easily understand the overall working of the tool.
A Step-by-Step Process to Unlock Password Protected PST File
- Run PST Password Remover tool and it would ask you to browse Outlook PST file which may need to reset
- Choose either Add File or Add Folder option for browsing data file
- Select specific folders which have been processed further and click OK button
- Once all the data files are browsed, the tool starts showing PST files along with its current status on software pane. This status will describe encrypted Outlook .pst files
- The status report that appears on the software screen can export and save to CSV file using Generate CSV Report option
- At the end, choose Remove Password button and then, you can easily unlock Outlook PST files
For security purpose, many Outlook users try to set a tough password to keep their data items safe. They do not even realize that they have forgotten the password until going to use an email account on another computer. Therefore, in this post, we have discussed the best three methods to unlock Outlook .pst file password in a clear way. Users can use any approach as per their convenience.